It was not the first time I was late to school, but it was, I think, my best reason to date. I am known for being a bit food obsessed, but being late to school because I was eating baked oatmeal out of a jar surprised even my closest friends. The conversation went a little like this:
Friends: "Really? You got up at 6:30am and you're still late?"
Me: "Well I wasn't going to waste those morning hours packing and re-packing my school bag... so I made baked oatmeal... it just took a little longer than expected okay?"
Friends: "Why, it's just porridge?"
Me: "Firstly, no it is not 'just porridge, it is so much more than that, it's got a slight caramel hint and the nutty hazelnuts work so well with the tangy raspberries..."
Me: "Sorry, I was just reliving it. It took longer because I was eating it out of a jar."
Friends: "Sorry, what?"
Me: "Well they just looked so pretty but, as a result, it took ages to cool down and I didn't want to burn my tongue (no dedicated foodie wants numbed taste buds... although I didn't share this fact at the time)"
So if you want a slightly bizarre way to be late, read on. Or just pour it into a bowl like a normal person and you can enjoy it and be on time!
Recipe adapted from one of my favourite blogs 'Sprouted Kitchen' - Baked Blueberry Oatmeal. This mouth-watering blog makes being healthy look like the most enjoyable thing on the planet. There's also a fab book which I would urge you to buy!
60g rolled oats
20g ground hazelnuts
Very small pinch salt
Pinch of brown sugar
1tsp melted butter/spread
Enough milk to cover oats to about 1/2 cm over their level up the sides of the jar/dish (about 200ml)
Handfull of raspberries (frozen is fine)
Toasted chopped hazelnuts, yoghurt and agave nectar I also added chopped banana) to serve.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees c (160 fan)
- Melt butter and mix with mild once cooled slightly
- Scatter rasberries in the bottom of two cleaned jam jars (a baking dish would also work)
- Mix dry ingredients and split equally between the two jars
- Pour over milk/butter mix - err on less as you can add more part way through cooking if it's getting a bit dry
- Cook for about 20mins until the top has started to turn a light golden brown
- Serve topped with toppings of your choice, or suggested toppings above.